Hi, I'm attempting to set up an ownCloud instance on my Webfaction server and was wondering if there's any instruction steps that would be good to go off of. I've set up applications on Webfaction before but I'm a Rails guy so your installers have handled all the heavy lifting. So not only am I unfamiliar with php but I'm also an unseasoned sys admin, haha.

Thanks for the help!

asked 22 Apr '13, 15:33

kwhittington's gravatar image

kwhittington
accept rate: 0%

The installation procedure should be something like this:

1. In our control panel, create a static/cgi/php application and assign it to a website.
  2. In our control panel, create a MySQL database and user and make a note of the database credentials.
  3. Extract the Owncloud tarball into the webapps subdirectory for the application you created in step 1.
  4. Go to the URL of the site that you created in step 1 and follow the Owncloud install wizard from there.

Hope that helps!

link

answered 22 Apr '13, 17:33

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
8.0k1726
accept rate: 39%

Hello, I followed those instructions and the site comes up, but there are no icons.

The message in the logs/frontend/error_ownCloud_php.log is: [crit] (13)Permission denied: /home/xxx/webapps/owncloud/apps/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable, referer: https://cloud.xxxx.hr/index.php/apps/files

[crit] (13)Permission denied: /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud/core/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

I manually created .htacces file in core dir. The owner is set to my username. I read everything I found, and I can't get it to work. Any help appreciated...

link

answered 20 Sep '13, 04:56

ivanmesic's gravatar image

ivanmesic

The error you're seeing means that the permissions on /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud/core/.htaccess or one of its parent directories (perhaps /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud/core/) are preventing the web server from reading the htaccess file. This same issue is why your images aren't working.

You should be able to fix it by running the following commands:

# this fixes the directory permissions
find /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud -type d | xargs setfacl -m u:apache:r-x
find /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud -type d | xargs setfacl -m u:nginx:r-x

# this fixes the file permissions
find /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud -type f | xargs setfacl -m u:apache:r--
find /home/xxxwebapps/owncloud -type f | xargs setfacl -m u:nginx:r--
(20 Sep '13, 17:46) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image

Thank you, that worked.

setfacl is my|your friend, need to learn that better.

(24 Sep '13, 04:10) ivanmesic ivanmesic's gravatar image

I have set up owncloud on webfaction by simply uploading their web installer script(yes it's just a one page script) and going through the wizard. Apparently the script sets up all the correct permissions for you. It shouldn't take longer then 30 seconds.

Once catch though is that you will not be able to use their smart phone clients. The reason being that webfaction uses basic authentication while owncloud's smart phone clients requires auth digest.

link

answered 23 Sep '13, 03:28

forserious's gravatar image

forserious

edited 23 Sep '13, 03:29

I installed it using the web installer, but it installed version 5. In order to upgrade to 6, you have to delete most of the installation, except for the data and config directories. The web installer might install version 6 in the near future, but right now it's easier just to do a manual install, though the web installer did set all the needed permissions.

link

answered 10 Mar, 06:16

rhythnic's gravatar image

rhythnic

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×4

Asked: 22 Apr '13, 15:33

Seen: 1,123 times

Last updated: 10 Mar, 06:16

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login