WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am in the process of migrating my existing domains over to WF which includes migrating emails as well. However, I wish the process to be seamless and in the process of creating mailboxes for a number of users I am getting the following message: "Mailbox with this Name already exists."

Needless to say I had to resort to a naming scheme for my mailboxes to avoid collision with existing mailboxes. This ofcourse means that my process for mail migration won't be as seamless as I had hoped for my users. My Questions: 1) Is there a way where I can create aliases atleast for the usernames to save me the trouble of updating the client software for my users? 2) Doesn't web-faction localize the mailboxes name for a domain/account so that mailboxes have to be unique within an account but not across the whole WF email system? 3) If the answer to 2 is no; then who is to say that my crude naming system doesn't create conflicts with future users and thus I have to deviate from the nomenclature I have adopted?

asked 22 Apr '13, 22:10

Mustafa
accept rate: 0%

We'd be happy to clarify.

Is there a way where I can create aliases at least for the usernames to save me the trouble of updating the client software for my users?

No, that would be impossible. For example, let's say that the "joe" mailbox already exists for some other user. If you were able to create a "joe" mailbox alias so that you could log into https://webmail.webfaction.com/ using the username "joe", then how could the original user ever log in? When he tried to log in with his mailbox name ("joe"), he would get a password failure, since it was matching against your password.

Then, if any other user in the future created another such alias, you would no longer be able to log in again. The same argument goes for logging into the IMAP server and SMTP servers as well (i.e. the settings in the client software).

2) Doesn't web-faction localize the mailboxes name for a domain/account so that mailboxes have to be unique within an account but not across the whole WF email system?

This would be impossible as well. When a user logs into the SMTP server to send email, they log in with the mailbox name, so we would need a completely separate IMAP, SMTP, and webmail instance for every account in order to allow multiple users to choose the same usernames.

3) If the answer to 2 is no; then who is to say that my crude naming system doesn't create conflicts with future users and thus I have to deviate from the nomenclature I have adopted?

Nothing. In the past, we solved this problem by forcing all mailboxes to begin with the webfaction account username. However, in some cases, people wanted to choose different prefixes, so we relaxed the constraints in order to accommodate this. By its nature this decision increases the possibility of conflicts.

In short, the only way to realistically allow a many-many relationship between email addresses and mailboxes is to have mailbox names which are not tied to the email address being used, and the only way to accommodate this on a shared platform is to ensure uniqueness in login (mailbox) names.

Hope that clarifies!

permanent link

answered 23 Apr '13, 00:02

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

edited 23 Apr '13, 00:11

I may not like the clarification. But Yes it does calrify. ;)

(23 Apr '13, 01:21) Mustafa
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×38
×7

question asked: 22 Apr '13, 22:10

question was seen: 2,761 times

last updated: 23 Apr '13, 01:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM