WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just created a Static simple web site for a domain. I believe it is all set up correctly.

The user manual is good. But I can't figure out this last bit.

When I connect via FTP there are a lot of pre-existing folders. That's ok.

Where I place my files for the web site?

Do I navigate to /home and add a subfolder for the domain?

And if that is correct, then how do make sure the domain serves up pages from that folder. I didn't see a way to indicate which folder is used. Such as www.mydomain.com/myfiles/index.htm

Ultimately, I will have more than one web site (different domains) and need to keep the files organized and separate of course.

Thanks.

asked 23 May '13, 19:59

sheilac
accept rate: 0%

This is covered in our website documentation. In a nutshell, you have multiple applications under your account, where each is a directory, and then you map domains to applications via website records. Applications live in your home directory, under the "webapps" folder.

So, if your username is "foo", then your home directory is at "/home/foo" and your webapps directory is at "/home/foo/webapps".

You would not create a new directory under "/home". Instead, you would create a new application from the Control Panel (probably of type "Static/CGI/PHP-5.4"), and give the application a name. We'll assume you name it "bar".

Now, a new folder will be created for you automatically at "/home/foo/webapps/bar". You would upload your files to that folder.

Finally, to link that folder to a domain name so you can see it on the Internet, you would create a website record to mount the "bar" application onto the "www.mydomain.com" domain with a URL Path of "/", which puts the contents of "bar" at http://www.mydomain.com/.

A file at "/home/foo/webapps/bar/myfiles/index.htm" would be visible at "http://www.mydomain.com/myfiles/index.htm".

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 23 May '13, 23:33

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93260
accept rate: 43%

edited 23 May '13, 23:34

Thank you so much. This is helpful. I am new and appreciate your help.

When I set up the web site under Domains/Websites > Websites, in the Contents section, I reused an existing Static web site application and then added a subfolder to the path.

Using FTP, I believe I am looking in the right subfolder

/home/USERNAME/webapps/staticmedia

But the subfolder I indicated was not created.

/home/USERNAME/webapps/staticmedia/mynewfolder

(It has been more than the 2 minutes).

Any idea what step I missed?

(24 May '13, 07:48) sheilac

I now have it sorted out. I didn't realize that you have to create a new application for each web site / domain, and that creates the subfolder.

Thank you for your help.

(24 May '13, 09:04) sheilac
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×62

question asked: 23 May '13, 19:59

question was seen: 5,091 times

last updated: 24 May '13, 09:04

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM