WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So, I have a server here on my local network and am able to use it as my test server. Though I would like to setup up remote access to it using a domain I own. The domain is registered with my previous web hosting service (Hostgator). Though all website and dns is resolved to my Webfaction server as it is the production server.

So, basically what I would like to do is take my domain and create a subdomain (such as example.test.com) and be able to go to bash and type ssh host@example.test.com and log into my home test server. This would allow me access to this machine. I would also like to be able to do VNC as well besides SSH. Though I'm just having troubles understanding how to setup the DNS configuration to point to this server. I have tried using: DNS Remote using A

I'm just having troubles with finding a tutorial that will help me see everything step by step to accomplish my subdomain to point at my local machine.

asked 02 Jun '13, 13:24

pmca89
accept rate: 0%

Using the DNS A record for the subdomain is correct, so this should work, provided that:

• The A record is correct
  • The DNS has propagated
  • The appropriate ports are forwarded on your router

However, you'll need to update your Question and provide more information for us to help further.

• Which ports have you forwarded? Or, are you not using port forwarding (using a reverse tunnel instead)?
  • Do you have a static IP address, or does it change?
  • Are you using the WebFaction API to update the DNS A record to your current IP address?
  • If so, on what interval?
  • What error(s) are you seeing in particular?
  • Once SSH is working, does VNC also work? If not, what VNC server software do you use? On which port?
permanent link

answered 02 Jun '13, 19:19

ryans ♦♦
5.0k103760
accept rate: 43%

edited 02 Jun '13, 19:19

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×105

question asked: 02 Jun '13, 13:24

question was seen: 4,144 times

last updated: 02 Jun '13, 19:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM