WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Is it possible to put my entire webapps directory in a git repository? I noticed that I don't have permission to create files or directories on the root webapps folder where git would create it's .git file, so I'm thinking this probably won't work?

asked 18 Jun '13, 01:46

gerdemb
accept rate: 0%

You can put your webapps directory in a repo, but you can't make your webapps directory into a clone of that repo, for the reason you've noted.

That said, there's an easy workaround:

• For static, CGI, and PHP apps, you can create their directories outside of webapps and use the appropriate symlink app type to serve them. Since they are outside of webapps, you can put them all in some subdirectory and manage that with git.
  • For apps that use long-running processes like our Django apps, don't worry about versioning the binary stuff, and put only your code and config into git. You can then configure the app (the Apache part or whatever) to serve your code from whatever directory.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 18 Jun '13, 17:50

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111

question asked: 18 Jun '13, 01:46

question was seen: 2,156 times

last updated: 18 Jun '13, 17:50

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM