WebFaction
Community site: login faq

By following http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email.html I added a TXT record (SPF)

v=spf1 a:smtp.webfaction.com ~all

to my DNS records with my external registrar. But messages sent through smtp.webfaction.com using the example Perl script still end up in Spam due to Softfail of spf check.

spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning automat@futu.cz does not designate 74.55.86.75 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=automat@futu.cz

OK. So I added the same record to my domain in Webfaction control panel (I think this is useless). No change.

OK. So I changed the spf record to include just "webfaction.com". No change.

The SPF checking tool http://tools.bevhost.com/spf/ tells me that the SPF record is set correctly but it indicated problems with IP address of the mail server:

74.55.86.75 resolves to hostname mail6.webfaction.com
mail6.webfaction.com resolves to ip address 74.55.86.74 which is NOT a match

I don't know if that means something. I did wait until the DNS records got propagated. What do I do wrong?

asked 18 Jun '13, 02:07

futu
accept rate: 0%

I managed to get spf=pass by setting the SPF records to:

v=spf1 ip4:74.55.86.75 ip4:74.55.86.74 ~all

(18 Jun '13, 04:08) futu

We brought 74.55.86.75 up as a temporary workaround for some blacklisting issues that we're presently working to resolve. We're almost out of that situation, and when it is, we'll switch back to 74.55.86.74 (the original IP), and the SPF example in our docs will work again.

Your solution to use ip4 modifiers in the records was the correct workaround.

permanent link

answered 18 Jun '13, 17:54

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

I have followed the steps on this page to configure my WebFaction hosted domain SPF record:

Create SPF DNS Record

The page recommends using the following SPF record:

v=spf1 a:smtp.webfaction.com ~all

Unfortunately, I have noticed that Gmail tags e-mail from my domain as softfail:

Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning XXXX@XXXX does not designate 75.126.24.68 as permitted sender) client-ip=75.126.24.68;

75.126.24.68 is in fact mail8.webfaction.com which is not covered by the a:smtp.webfaction.com directive of the WebFaction recommended SPF record.

Suggestion: Instead of having us hardcode ever-changing server IP addresses in all of our domains, would it be possible for WebFaction to provide us with the INCLUDE directive, like Gmail or Office365 hosting do?

For example:

v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all 
v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all

Which means: fetch all of the SPF records from that domain and include them in this domain. WebFaction would then need to maintain the SPF record at one place, on their domain, with their mail servers IP addresses and we would be instantly covered by any changes they need to make to their mail infrastructure.

To make sure this change doesn't interrupt/overlap with their own SPF records, WebFaction could use another domain to "host" the SPF records, like spfcustomers.webfaction.com.

Thank you for considering this! Jimmy.

permanent link

answered 26 Mar '15, 12:37

JPrince
accept rate: 0%

Thanks for the suggestion! We're actually already working on providing a consolidated SPF endpoint, but we do not have an ETA for it at this time.

(26 Mar '15, 16:23) seanf

Great news! In the meantime, can you provide all the IP addresses we should put in the a: directives in our SPF records? Thank you!

(26 Mar '15, 16:45) JPrince

If you're only using our SMTP, then smtp.webfaction.com is sufficient.

If you're using forwarding addresses, then you should include the following hosts as well:

• mx7.webfaction.com
  • mx8.webfaction.com
  • mx9.webfaction.com
(26 Mar '15, 17:04) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×33
×6

question asked: 18 Jun '13, 02:07

question was seen: 5,723 times

last updated: 26 Mar '15, 17:04

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM