WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Are webfaction planning to offer any other than US-located mailservers?

With the recent PRISM leaks, I can see many reasons as to why people would not want their email traffic to pass through US locations.

Another reason would be speed, I can't help but feel that the mail experience overall feels a bit sluggish being in Europe.

Are there any plans for this - or is this something that webfaction already offers?

asked 18 Jun '13, 05:27

Alx09
accept rate: 0%

We have no plans to bring an EU mail server online at this time, but if there's enough demand for it, we'll certainly consider it.

permanent link

answered 18 Jun '13, 19:19

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

I really love webfaction, but your unenthusiastic response to the valid privacy concerns of your customers, especially in the light of all prism-related news is concerning.

Many people are looking around for reasonable alternatives to US-based services, mostly to regain some peace of mind. Webfaction is a non-US company, with a sufficient number of non-US servers. It would have been awesome if it could have offered some of this peace of mind.

A clear privacy policy addressing snooping concerns and data+mail hosted in non-US datacenters would have gone a long way.

See also my related question: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/13674/privacy-policy-wrt-email-and-other-user-data-prismgate-nsa

Remi certainly gave a helpful answer, but that information should be part of a prominently displayed privacy policy. (your current privacy policy has nothing w.r.t. snooping)

(19 Jun '13, 07:30) cpbotha
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×7
×3
×3
×2
×1

question asked: 18 Jun '13, 05:27

question was seen: 4,200 times

last updated: 19 Jun '13, 07:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM