WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I'm tryimng to import database from another host. The documentation suggests two ways. 1) Import through phpAdmin and 2) import through shell.

I placed the dump of the database in the home directory. I then created an empty database with same name and persmissions as on my old host as per documentation. php Admin did not give me an option to import from webfaction but did give option to import from machine. But when I tried to import from my pc, it gave me an error that the database already existed.

I contacted support and they said preferred method is shell. So I downloaded putty for windows and logged on with putty. So far so good.

They told me to try following commands:

mysql -u username -p -D dbasename< /home/myaccount/dump.sql

However, when I entered this I've got the error that the database already exists.

So I deleted the empty database and then got an error Access denied.

With the empty database deleted there does not seem to be a way to access phpmyadmin.

This is way harder than the incomplete documentation pretends.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I also notice that I have to keep signing into the webfaction website almost every time I go to a new page. It doesn't seem to remember that you've logged in even when you check remember me. What is up with that?

asked 18 Jun '13, 18:27

user223344
accept rate: 0%

What is probably happening is your MySQL dump file contains a Create Database statement. You'll need to ensure that on your other host you export just the schema / data rather than containing commands to create the database.

As far as the signup into the control panel goes, you should definitely stay signed in from page to page. Please ensure that your browser has cookies enabled, which should fix that.

permanent link

answered 19 Jun '13, 00:19

waynek
accept rate: 27%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84
×9
×9
×1

question asked: 18 Jun '13, 18:27

question was seen: 2,457 times

last updated: 19 Jun '13, 00:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM