WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi

I am looking to send mail from my website hosted at webfaction using Gmail's mail servers

I have followed the instructions here

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email.html#email-google-apps

When I send an email as is, it works fine. But shouldn't there be a place to put your gmail username and password? I was thinking inside the PHP script itself as smtp_user and smtp_pass.

When I try this the page just hangs indefinetly.

If we don't need username and pass, how can Google verify that this is indeed the real email it is coming from. In other words how does it know I'm not using a fake 'from' address

Is the answer in the mail server information I provided in the 'Domain' section (as explained in the link above)?

Thanks!

asked 21 Jun '13, 16:12

mcmaxx
accept rate: 0%

The instructions at Using Google Apps for Email have nothing to do with using Gmail's SMTP service. Those instructions are for configuring your domain to use Google as it's MX servers (ie, where your mail actually gets delivered).

GMail SMTP does indeed require authentication with your Gmail credentials. Their recommended SMTP settings are available here: GMail SMTP settings

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 21 Jun '13, 16:31

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×260
×41
×19
×8

question asked: 21 Jun '13, 16:12

question was seen: 7,699 times

last updated: 21 Jun '13, 16:31

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM