WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've been using ssh successfully at home (on my Mac), but I'm trying to access my account now from the Windows computer at work and I'm having some problems.

I've tried both PUTTY and SSH Secure Shell, hostename "webXX.webfaction.com", my username, port number 22. With both programs it looks like it's starting to connect, but I get a message almost immediately saying "Connection Closed by Remote Host".

Any idea what this could be?

And, if I can't get the ssh to work on my work computer (because of firewalls or whatever else), is there any other way to access my WebFaction server?

asked 07 Jan '11, 07:25

Karen McNeil
accept rate: 0%

It is indeed possible that a firewall at your work is blocking your access to the SSH port number(22). By default, there is no other way to run your WebFaciton server beside SSH, so if this is the case, you'll need to either find a way to circumvent your firewall (e.g. by using some SOCKS proxy that you have access to), or install some web application that would allow you to run commands over web (e.g. some PHP shell). You should first verify with your local system administrator however, if SSH access is indeed blocked.

Another possibility is that you entered a wrong password too many times, and our firewall blocked your IP address. To find out if this is the case, you should post a support ticket.

permanent link

answered 07 Jan '11, 07:34

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×13
×8

question asked: 07 Jan '11, 07:25

question was seen: 14,868 times

last updated: 07 Jan '11, 07:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM