WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm migrating a bunch of Wordpress instances to a Wordpress application configured for multisite. So I have a website configured that points, say, wpmu.mydomain.com to ~/webapps/wpmuhq

I'm using the Multidomain plugin, to point myfirstblog.com to mfb.wpmu.mydomain.com, blog2.com to b2.wpmu.mydomain.com etc.

When I use the control panel to add a website that points myfirstblog.com to the wpmuhq app, I find that the Webfaction script automatically modifies the wp_options table for the wpmu app, to set siteurl and home to http://myfirstblog.com/

I understand why that would happen - if you're setting up a single WP domain, that's exactly what WP would require.

But it messes up for a multisite: wpmu.mydomain.com/wp-admin is redirected to myfirstblog.com/wp-admin - not what I want. I can work around it, by resetting host and siteurl to http://wpmu.mydomain.com/ in wp_options.

But: is there a way to set up custom domains with the WF control panel that doesn't require this workaround?

asked 24 Jun '13, 09:46

cesnn's gravatar image

cesnn
accept rate: 14%

edited 24 Jun '13, 09:50

If you want to avoid the automatic WP configuration that our control panel does, then you can either:

• Install WordPress manually into a Static/CGI/PHP application directory, or..
  • Create a "symbolic link to Static/CGI/PHP" application, pointing at your existing WordPress application directory

If you use either of the above approaches to serve your WP site, then our control panel won't do the WordPress-specific stuff that it normally does (i.e., automatic configuration of your site URL in WP options).

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 24 Jun '13, 10:13

seanf's gravatar image

seanf
12.0k21635
accept rate: 37%

edited 24 Jun '13, 10:14

Thanks, Sean. Any downsides from the approach I'm taking - e.g. that at some later time, a WF script would do something that tries to be helpful but breaks my workaround?

(24 Jun '13, 10:29) cesnn cesnn's gravatar image

Nope, no downsides that I can foresee. This approach essentially turns your WordPress app into a generic static/cgi/php app, so there would be no special tweaks made by the control panel when it creates the web server config for that app.

(24 Jun '13, 10:44) seanf seanf's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×239
×100
×13
×6
×1

question asked: 24 Jun '13, 09:46

question was seen: 2,953 times

last updated: 24 Jun '13, 10:44

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM