WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I have a hosting user account on webfaction. My memory limit is 256 M and my disk space limit is 110 GB.

For my research project I need to host a huge database (10 to 20 GB) with time-series data and also a xml/json web services API and a php data viewer application.

What is your advice about the database setup:

1. use the default "mySQL database" option
  2. use the default "postgreSQL database" option
  3. use a "local private instance" of a mySQL database server

Specifically could you explain to me what is the difference between the shared mySQL database and the "local private mySQL instance" in terms of memory usage.

I am asking, because I don't want my big databases to cause adverse effects to other users of webfaction hosting.

Thanks, Jiri Kadlec

asked 05 Jul '13, 07:41

jirik
accept rate: 66%

When you use our shared database service for your databases, its memory usage is not counted towards the RAM quota of your hosting plan, and your database queries run in the same kernel control group (cgroup) as all of the other shared database users.

When you use a private database instance, the database server is a long-running process which runs via your main user account. The RAM it uses counts towards the RAM quota of your hosting plan, and runs in your account's cgroup. The actual memory usage is dependent on the amount of data that you have in memory at one time. There's no way for us to know what that would be - you'd need to set it up and test it yourself to make that determination.

If your main concern is disrupting other users, then I recommend that you use a private database instance, since the kernel would be able to manage your resource utilization separately from other users.

permanent link

answered 05 Jul '13, 13:39

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×168
×108
×87
×84

question asked: 05 Jul '13, 07:41

question was seen: 3,821 times

last updated: 05 Jul '13, 13:39

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM