WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I would like to synchronize two databases, one on webfaction and the other behind a corporate server that I can only access using VPN. Is it possible to set up a VPN connection that a BASH script / cron job would recognize for the outgoing connection?

asked 18 Jul '13, 09:48

marcmaxson
accept rate: 0%

We don't provide any VPN client software, but it should be possible to build a client from source in your home directory and use that to make your connection.

I just tried building vpnc on a test account on your server, and that seemed to work. If you want to try that, you can build it with the following steps:

mkdir ~/src
cd ~/src
wget http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/vpnc-0.5.3.tar.gz
tar zxf vpnc-0.5.3.tar.gz
cd vpnc-0.5.3
make
make DESTDIR=$HOME/vpnc install

Once that's done, the client and supporting files will be installed in your ~/vpnc in your home directory, and you can run ~/vpnc/usr/local/sbin/vpnc --long-help to get more information about the client.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 18 Jul '13, 15:32

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thanks. Works great. Any suggestions for how to setup the config file? This doc ( http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-connect-to-a-cisco-vpn-with-vpnc/ ) says it needs to go in /etc/vpnc I am not sure we can write to that dir.

(13 Nov '13, 07:18) cwurld2

The location for the config file isn't important, as it's the first argument you pass into vpnc. By default, the install will put it at:

$HOME/vpnc/etc/vpnc/default.conf

So you would do something like:

$HOME/vpnc/usr/local/sbin/vpnc $HOME/vpnc/etc/vpnc/default.conf

Also note that you probably need OpenSSL support. See the comments in the Makefile for details.

(13 Nov '13, 17:47) ryans ♦♦

VPN Software will not work correctly on a Shared Web Host like WebFaction.

(The other answer on this page recommends using 'vpnc', but even if you get through the build process, it still won't work due to lack of ability to control /dev/net/tun.)

Try using SSH Tunnels instead.

Regards,

~Christopher S, WebFaction Support

permanent link

answered 21 Nov '13, 19:10

likebike
accept rate: 28%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×81
×23
×4

question asked: 18 Jul '13, 09:48

question was seen: 2,160 times

last updated: 24 Nov '13, 05:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM