WebFaction
Community site: login faq

hi there, i'm seriously considering moving my hosted site to webfaction. i'm developing this site using python 3.2+ and django 1.5+. my question: is there anyone using python3 and recent django on webfaction who would like to comment on how good the webfaction support is for this combo?

i found a list of webfaction 'applications' somewhere on the webfaction site that listed a lot of python/django version combinations, but it did not list any 1.5+ version of django in combination with 3.2+ (or any 3.x) version of python... does this mean it's an unsupported combo or just that the install will be more 'manual'.

anyway, tia for any replies, e.

asked 30 Jul '13, 05:41

elguavas
accept rate: 0%

If it is not on the list, that you found, then it just means we do not have an installer for the combination you are wanting to use. This doesn't mean you can not install Django on Python 3.2. In fact, if you create a mod_wsgi3.4/python3.2 application, you can then install Django into that application directory. Hope that helps. Feel free to post any further questions here or open a support ticket for further help.

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '13, 11:29

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

thanks for the reply bmeyer.

once i have my django 1.5 installed with python 3.3 i assume there is a smooth path for me to keep on upgrading both python and django 'in place' for that application?

(30 Jul '13, 18:21) elguavas

Upgrading Django for minor releases is generally easy - we have the basic procedure here: Upgrading your Django Libraries

Upgrading for major releases is usually a bit more involved - the procedure to upgrade the libraries themselves is generally as what we have documented above. However, major Django releases usually require some changes to your code as well. In those cases, you'll want to consult the release notes for the version of Django to which you are upgrading.

Regarding Python upgrades, that's a bit less smooth. For example, if you wanted to go from Python 3.2 to Python 3.3, you'd need to re-build mod_wsgi (or whatever back-end deployment stack you're using) against that version of Python.

(30 Jul '13, 19:37) seanf

ok, thanks seanf. so it's not really different from if i'm maintaining my own installations of django and python as i am at present. i just wanted to know whether there were any added complications (or benefits) due to webfaction's notion of an installed 'application'.

(31 Jul '13, 17:51) elguavas

bmeyer71 wrote:

...if you create a mod_wsgi3.4/python3.2 application, you can then install Django into that application directory.

What are the steps to install Django in this manner? We can't run the 'sudo python3.2 setup.py install' from the downloaded/untar'ed source directory, can we?

Thanks for any help.

(28 Aug '13, 18:44) cdheal

@bmeyer71,

Bear with me, not super familiar with your environment without using the Control Panel for installation. Let me know if I messed up, please: I ran the command without sudo, thus: python3.2 setup.py install and Django was installed in $HOME.

I tried import django in the python3.2 shell from "mod_wsgi3.4/python3.2" application's directory without error. Anything else I should do? Running which python3.2 outputs, /usr/local/bin/python3.2 which isn't the same python now in $HOME/lib/python3.2, is it?

(28 Aug '13, 19:32) cdheal

/usr/local/bin/python3.2 uses the python packages in $HOME/lib/python3.2 as long as $HOME/lib/python3.2 is on your PYTHONPATH (or sys.path). You might just need to add this to your python path in your WSGI file (if it's not being added automatically). More information is available in our documentation here.

Hope that helps!

(29 Aug '13, 02:25) ryans ♦♦

Good info, ryans, thanks!

(29 Aug '13, 11:54) cdheal
showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×23

question asked: 30 Jul '13, 05:41

question was seen: 2,634 times

last updated: 29 Aug '13, 11:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM