WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Am I allowed to update vim so I can use plugins such as NERDTree, jedi-vim, and python mode? Using vim without them Is proving to be pretty difficult for me.

asked 01 Aug '13, 16:01

Jake_S
accept rate: 0%

In order to upgrade, you would have to do an install from source into your home directory. Depending on the plugins you are needing to use. If they will work with the existing version, you may be able to just install those into your home directory.

For help with installing from source, please see here for further help.

permanent link

answered 01 Aug '13, 16:51

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

I tried installing an up-to-date version of vim from source but it stops me when I use the make && make install saying I do not have permissions

(09 Aug '13, 21:02) Jake_S

Did you configure with:

./configure --prefix=$HOME

If not you will need to reconfigure and "make clean" before running make again. This is because without the --prefix it will try to install into the root locations and you do have permissions to those directories.

(10 Aug '13, 07:31) timg ♦♦

Okay thanks! One last noob question (im really used to package managers lol) I have configured, made, and installed vim the correct way. Now what alias do i have to make in my .bash_profile so that when i enter the command vim it will let me use vim 7.4 rather than vim 7.2 Thank you guys so much for your help

(12 Aug '13, 15:14) Jake_S

You should be able to add vim=/home/account/path/to/vim to your .bashrc or .bash_profile. Then you can either log out then back in or run source .bashrc to reload your .bashrc file.

(12 Aug '13, 15:43) bmeyer71 ♦♦

Alright thank you guys so much! Vim is working all good and well and with all the plugins I love! You guys are the best!

(13 Aug '13, 01:57) Jake_S
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×8
×6
×1

question asked: 01 Aug '13, 16:01

question was seen: 1,885 times

last updated: 03 Nov '14, 14:29

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM