WebFaction
Community site: login faq

hello

i have a management command within my django app which runs for about 3 hours. at the end of it's run, when attempting to write to the database, it dies with a broken pipe error.

this problem did not happen in my development environment(ubuntu, django dev server)

usung apache mod_wsgi

asked 10 Jan '11, 00:25

alexcgilliland
accept rate: 0%

What is it exactly that your command is doing? When does the command try to open the connection to the database? Have you tried writing to a file and then after processing writing that info to the database?

(10 Jan '11, 00:33) klynton

the command is reading alot of data from a rate limited api, mostly it's sleeping. as i understand it django opens the connection when a model is imported, this happens at the end of the command, within a processing function. writing to file is a sensible workaround, but i would like to find the problem as well.

(10 Jan '11, 00:49) alexcgilliland

I've done as much poking around as I can without actually seeing the code that is writing to the database but it looks like if you are piping input and one piece of it fails it will give you the broken pipe error.

Can you submit a support ticket with the info on where to find the code so we can take a look at your specific code?

(10 Jan '11, 01:49) klynton

replyed to existing ticket

(10 Jan '11, 02:49) alexcgilliland
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84
×81
×3
×2

question asked: 10 Jan '11, 00:25

question was seen: 3,022 times

last updated: 10 Jan '11, 02:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM