WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi all,

I've done a little research but not seeing any clearcut answers for this...which surprises me because I'd imagine what I'm trying to do is extremely common:

I presently have a Django project hosted on WF for a client and am about to deploy a major update. What I'd like to do is create a subdomain (e.g. rc.myaccount.webfactional.com — "rc" standing for release candidate) and run the new version on there so the client can try it out, test it, and we can iron out any kinks in it before I port it to the main domain and merge in live user data.

My main question: What's the best way to set this up in a single WF account?

A few specifics:

• I'd like to keep the current version running as uninterruptedly as possible during this process
  • I need to keep all elements — including static files — completely separate between the old and new versions of the project. (Currently my static files live under ~/webapps/static.) Ideally I would accomplish that without too much fiddling with my code.
  • It would be useful to know what's the most memory efficient approach, so I'm not exceeding my RAM quota by, for example, running two instances of Django/Apache at the same time (if that's avoidable).

TIA for any suggestions...!

JoelG
Cambridge, MA

asked 08 Aug '13, 21:10

JoelG
accept rate: 0%

Basically there are 2 x general approaches you can use:

• Multiple sites on a single Django installation [1]
  • Multiple Django installations.

I would suggest that since the memory requirements of a typical Django app are not particularly high it would be worth just using two separate Django installations. It should be as easy as using the one-click installer to create a new instance, copying your files all over, updating all path references to the new installation's location under ~/webapps, and making a copy of the database. For the static files, you should be able to just also create another Static-Only application and link the new app to that (if this is the method you used).

[1] See this community post for more details.

permanent link

answered 08 Aug '13, 23:56

waynek
accept rate: 27%

edited 08 Aug '13, 23:57

Thanks, Waynek—helpful and clear!

(11 Aug '13, 06:34) JoelG
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×76
×17
×5
×4

question asked: 08 Aug '13, 21:10

question was seen: 2,712 times

last updated: 11 Aug '13, 06:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM