WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have to transfer a site/domain with email addresses from my account to the (newly created) one of my customer. Which is the fastest way to do this? How can I keep/transfer emails in mailboxes with minimal downtime?

asked 19 Aug '13, 02:49

gatisdormouse
accept rate: 0%

• Create the apps on the new account and copy your files over.
  • Export your databases on the old account and import them into databases on the new account.
  • Create sites to test the apps on the new account (you can use your webfactional.com subdomain for this).
  • Create mailboxes on the new account.
  • Use a tool like Mailjumpr or OfflineIMAP to copy your existing mail from the old account to the mailboxes on the new account
  • When you're satisfied that the sites are working correctly on the new account, remove the domain from the old account and add it to the new account.
  • Create your email addresses on the new account
  • Edit the sites to attach the domain to the apps on the new account.
permanent link

answered 19 Aug '13, 13:17

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

For future reference: make sure you set your domain's TTL to be as short as possible before you do the transfer. This is good practice anyway. But, if you forget, your website will be down, completely, until the transfer is complete.

Usually when migrating from one host to another, you can keep your old site up and running until the new one is working - or at least have a user friendly page displayed that tells the user the site is undergoing maintenance and will be back up soon.

However when transferring between Webfaction accounts, this is not possible. You have to completely remove the domain entry in the old Webfaction account in order for it to be added to the new Webfaction account. This means your old site is immediately unavailable, and you get the rather antiquated Webfaction screen we've all seen before saying "Coming soon: Another fine website hosted by WebFaction."

I find this situation unacceptable. Because as we all know, s**t happens. If you setup on the new account and something goes wrong, such as the propagation taking longer than expected, you're out of luck.

Just something to keep in mind when you start...

(07 Sep '16, 07:03) lapomme

I currently need to do this for a customer. However, when I try to create the email box on the new account, I get "Mailbox with this Name already exists."

Since I'm simply moving the site from one account to another, I certainly don't want to make them change their email login. The process should be as transparent as possible. And I can't seem to rename an email box (like creating a temp one on the new account, migrating the emails, then rename it to the correct name).

What's the best way to handle this?

permanent link

answered 06 Sep '16, 07:03

lapomme
accept rate: 0%

Typically you would:

• Create a new mailbox with a temporary name (under the old account)
  • Migrate the email to the temporary mailbox
  • Delete the original mailbox and re-create it with the same name under to new account
  • Migrate the mail from the temporary mailbox to the new one
  • Delete the temporary one

Yes, this involves two transfers, but usually for the typical mailbox it's not a problem. If you have a massive amount of email to transfer (many GBs), then let us know and we can move them from the old mailbox to the temporary one for you directly on the mailbox server.

(06 Sep '16, 09:18) ryans ♦♦

Thank you. I figured out the same solution. It is kind of a pain, though...

(06 Sep '16, 14:36) lapomme
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×43
×17
×3

question asked: 19 Aug '13, 02:49

question was seen: 5,247 times

last updated: 07 Sep '16, 07:03

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM