WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi all,

I would like to create a site where I can upload easily my holiday pictures to share with friends. Purpose would be for them to view the pictures but also to download them easily (full resolution, individually or all together).

Which application would you recommend for this on WebFaction?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Kind regards,

Fred

asked 19 Aug '13, 09:25

_Fred_
accept rate: 0%

I used once gallery and like it Gallery it's simple php with mysql database! but now I'm back to google+ 'coz the integration with the android app xotof was not very stable in my case.

bye Marcel

permanent link

answered 20 Aug '13, 15:09

marcel

edited 20 Aug '13, 15:11

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the input!
I think I will use Gallery but I am facing some issues for the basic config. As it is stated that Gallery3 needs a MySQL, I create an application based on MySQL but when I put all files from Gallery3 over there, I cannot see the installation page. Instead, my browser wants to download a document.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers,

Fred

(01 Sep '13, 02:54) _Fred_

Hi Fred, it sounds like you might have created a MySQL private instance, rather than a PHP app (app type for that is Static/CGI/PHP). You need to create a PHP app and put your Gallery files in there, then you can create a database and database user in the WebFaction control panel which you can connect to from your app.

(01 Sep '13, 03:03) waynek

Hi Waynek, that was indeed my problem, thanks for the input! I now created a 5.4 PHP app and dropped the Gallery3 files over there (and removed the existing index.html file) but now I only see a blank page and nothing like http://codex.galleryproject.org/images/6/63/Gallery3_install_screenshot.png

Any idea what could be happening? Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers,

Fred

(01 Sep '13, 04:32) _Fred_

The blank white screen sounds like there is an error present. Have you checked the error logs at /home/<username>/logs/frontend/error_<app_name>_php.log to see if it has any pertinent information?

Please open a support ticket if you need help troubleshooting.

(01 Sep '13, 06:49) aaront ♦♦

Hi aaront, thanks for your input! I see that there are indeed error files created in the log. Any idea how I can open these?

Cheers,

Fred

(09 Sep '13, 15:42) _Fred_

You may open then with any text editor. You can either download them with FTP and do this, or use SSH and the text editors on the server (nano, vim, emacs)

(09 Sep '13, 17:40) johns
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

I rather like ZenPhoto and Piwigo. The former is more feature rich, while the latter is simpler and "cleaner" under the hood.

permanent link

answered 26 Aug '13, 12:38

rouben

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×58
×2

question asked: 19 Aug '13, 09:25

question was seen: 3,355 times

last updated: 09 Sep '13, 17:40

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM