WebFaction
Community site: login faq

request for any help: I have MoinMoin installed on the server which runs with python 2.5 - I need it to run with python 2.7 as my other applications has been already updated to python 2.7. I would like to recompile or upgrade MoinMoin installed on the site. I am at lost on how to proceed with this and need some advice. Thanks

asked 25 Aug '13, 09:37

Conan
accept rate: 0%

Hello,

First of all, there is a fundamental misunderstanding in the wording of your question; MoinMoin is not "compiled" at all -- it's just a bunch of normal Python files, usable from pretty much any Python version.

If you want to change the Python version that it uses, you just need to change the "she-bang" line at the top of your index.cgi file. You'd change it to something like this:

#!/usr/local/bin/python2.7

Perhaps if you can elaborate a bit about the exact "incompatibility" that you are running in to, I might be able to offer some more useful advice.

Regards,

~Christopher S.

permanent link

answered 25 Aug '13, 13:54

likebike
accept rate: 28%

Thanks for the response and for correcting me about the compilation part ( a mistake from a newbie). I tried changing the 'she-bang' before posting here; it gave me '500 – Internal Server Error'. I check the error log - 'Exception occurred processing WSGI script'. Am checking out this aspect.

(26 Aug '13, 05:59) Conan

Ok, if you;d like us to look into this more closely, just open a support ticket.

(26 Aug '13, 12:55) seanf

I did it; okay, i spent some time trying to upgrade MoinMoin from 1.8 to 1.9. But updaing the python version is not complicated: http://moinmo.in/HelpOnUpdatingPython

(28 Aug '13, 08:56) Conan

Hi there

Please note that MoinMoin 1.8.x is very outdated and can contains security risks. You should upgrade to the lastest Version 1.9.7.

If you switch also the python version its neccessary that you clean the caches e.g:

moin --config-dir=<moin-instance> --wiki-url=<wiki-url> maint cleancache

Don't use CGI (its just too slow), build a wsgi app on webfaction and configure your wiki to use it. I would recommend also to install xapian for faster search. A single not high traffic wiki with 256MB should work (just configure only once wsgi process with 16 threads)

I can confim that MoinMoin with mod_wsgi & xapian works under webfaction. See e.g. my little homepage. For bigger/high traffic wikis, I would consider to run it on a dedicated server and not a shared hosting.

bye Marcel

permanent link

answered 18 Sep '13, 05:31

marcel
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×6

question asked: 25 Aug '13, 09:37

question was seen: 5,562 times

last updated: 18 Sep '13, 05:31

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM