WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi WF team,

Let's say I have a website which is extremely busy during peak hours, but quiets down at night.

Is it possible to downgrade my service to minimum plan at each 8pm and upgrade to a higher plan (any of the 1/2/4GB shared plan) at each 7am? And can I do it even more frequently?

For each upgrade and downgrade, how long does it need to take effect?

If all these are allowed, do it need to go through Control Panel or can you provide api to do that?

Regards, Ray

asked 06 Sep '13, 00:18

iceberg
accept rate: 0%

Upgrading to and between 1GB, 2GB and 4GB plans requires a server migration, which is typically scheduled a few days in advance to allow for DNS TTL changes etc. Another option could be to add another server to your account, which is quicker (typically 1-2 hours, or less) and load balance across the servers using our multiple servers facility (please note that data synchronisation needs to be handled seperately). Although these are all options, none of them are designed for spinning up and down quickly based on load, and ideally machines would not be added to and removed from the account so frequently. This is also not possible to trigger via the API.

permanent link

answered 06 Sep '13, 03:21

waynek
accept rate: 27%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×40
×3

question asked: 06 Sep '13, 00:18

question was seen: 1,653 times

last updated: 06 Sep '13, 03:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM