WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm trying to install the gem ruby-debug19 to debug an ruby on rails app but i can't install it successfully. It gives me an error when tries to compile the native extension and in traceback says "/usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:247:in `mkdir': Permission denied - /usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby-1.9.3-p448 (Errno::EACCES)" This is related to that i don't have root priviledges but i already configured my enviroment vars as is said in the documentation of webfaction. How i could install it?

asked 09 Sep '13, 10:29

FrancoAA
accept rate: 0%

Digging around the net for answers to this issue show it is very common. There are many suggested fixes. The one in this StackOverflow article seems to be good, as it shows how to compile the gems from source not using the gems manager. My suggestion would have been the same thing, and this explains the process.

permanent link

answered 09 Sep '13, 18:33

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

We would need to see the complete track-back to know exactly which part is failing. Different source code distributions use different enviroment variables, and sometimes the original developer hard-coded paths.

You may paste the track-back here or submit a support ticket so we can investigate further.

permanent link

answered 09 Sep '13, 17:38

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

This is the complete traceback:

gem install ruby-debug19 Building native extensions. This could take a while... ERROR: Error installing ruby-debug19: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/local/bin/ruby1.9 extconf.rb checking for vm_core.h...

no /home/francoaa/gems/gems/ruby_core_source-0.1.5/lib/ruby_core_source.rb:39: Use RbConfig instead of obsolete and deprecated Config. checking for vm_core.h... no extconf.rb failed Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options: --with-opt-dir --without-opt-dir --with-opt-include --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include --with-opt-lib --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/ --with-make-prog --without-make-prog --srcdir=. --curdir --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby1.9 --with-ruby-dir --without-ruby-dir --with-ruby-include --without-ruby-include=${ruby-dir}/include --with-ruby-lib --without-ruby-lib=${ruby-dir}/ /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:247:in mkdir': Permission denied - /usr/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby-1.9.3-p448 (Errno::EACCES) from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:247:infu_mkdir' from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:221:in block (2 levels) in mkdir_p' from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:219:inreverse_each' from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:219:in block in mkdir_p' from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:205:ineach' from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/fileutils.rb:205:in mkdir_p' from /home/francoaa/gems/gems/ruby_core_source-0.1.5/lib/ruby_core_source.rb:59:inblock in create_makefile_with_core' from /usr/local/lib/ruby19/ruby/1.9.1/tempfile.rb:320:in open' from /home/francoaa/gems/gems/ruby_core_source-0.1.5/lib/ruby_core_source.rb:51:increate_makefile_with_core' from extconf.rb:19:in `<main>' Requesting http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.3-p448.tar.gz Downloading http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.3-p448.tar.gz

Gem files will remain installed in /home/francoaa/gems/gems/linecache19-0.5.12 for inspection. Results logged to /home/francoaa/gems/gems/linecache19-0.5.12/ext/trace_nums/gem_make.out

permanent link

answered 09 Sep '13, 18:19

FrancoAA
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×81
×11

question asked: 09 Sep '13, 10:29

question was seen: 3,339 times

last updated: 09 Sep '13, 18:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM