WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello all, it's time to renew my SSL certs and there's a couple details I would like clarification on.

1. When generating a key via the term using "openssl genrsa -out domain.key 2048" does the actual name of "domain.key" and "domain.csr" have any relevance aside from providing an identifiable label?
  2. Does the location of the generated key and csr file matter, can I say make a temp directory, generate my keys in there and then move them to the appropriate directory before making the support request to install them?
  3. Is there any way to determine which currently existing key points to which domain, I don't think i need this information for anything but I have a deep curiosity about this for some reason.

Thanks in advance!

asked 18 Sep '13, 15:37

crabstance's gravatar image

crabstance
accept rate: 0%

When generating a key via the term using "openssl genrsa -out domain.key 2048" does the actual name of "domain.key" and "domain.csr" have any relevance aside from providing an identifiable label?

No.

Does the location of the generated key and csr file matter, can I say make a temp directory, generate my keys in there and then move them to the appropriate directory before making the support request to install them?

The location of the generated files doesn't matter - just let us know where they are when you open your ticket.

Is there any way to determine which currently existing key points to which domain, I don't think i need this information for anything but I have a deep curiosity about this for some reason.

You can get the domain for your certificate with:

openssl x509 -in whatever.cert -noout -subject

You can then determine which private key matches that certificate by following these instructions: Verifying that a Private Key Matches a Certificate

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 18 Sep '13, 16:36

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
11.9k21333
accept rate: 37%

edited 18 Sep '13, 16:36

Awesome reply, thanks, very informative. All questions answered!

(18 Sep '13, 17:54) crabstance crabstance's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×86
×7

question asked: 18 Sep '13, 15:37

question was seen: 3,183 times

last updated: 18 Sep '13, 17:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL