WebFaction
Community site: login faq

(This is not a question for me, I don't horde mail)

I have a friend and I keep his little site maintained, he hordes email. He already has his mail forwarding to a gmail account but he likes it backed-up on MY server (2g of spam backups).

If I set his email account to not save to local mailboxes, will that effect the mail forwarding?

I know it's sneaky and terrible of me, but I'm not a backup service for his spam and he's in NY and I'm in HI, so it's hard for me to wring his neck.

asked 26 Sep '13, 19:57

ichrs
accept rate: 0%

There's no effect on mail forwarding - it will work as you expect (mostly).

An email address which only is set up with a target of another email address simply forwards to that address. One that has a target of a local mailbox will deliver mail to that mailbox, and one that has both will do both.

The only caveat to keep in mind is that we don't forward any email messages that appear as spam to our mail filters. Those messages would still be delivered to a local mailbox - we just don't want it to appear that our SMTP server is sending spam. So, removing a mailbox means losing some messages -- those messages are not being forwarded in any case, but at least when you have a local mailbox as well, you can still see and access them from the mailbox if you need to.

permanent link

answered 26 Sep '13, 20:32

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93160
accept rate: 43%

Thanks for clarifying that. :)

(26 Sep '13, 22:44) ichrs
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×17

question asked: 26 Sep '13, 19:57

question was seen: 2,038 times

last updated: 26 Sep '13, 22:44

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM