WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a static IP address which I want to be able to access via sub-domains. I know how to create a DNS record with the registrar to map that domain to the IP address, however that approach is more coarse-grained than I'm looking for.

What I'd like to do is filter certain traffic by port; by that I mean a sub-domain like vent.mydomain.com or openvpn.mydomain.com should only allow traffic to that IP address through a specific port, and deny any traffic on other ports. Basically, I'd like to expose certain ports through sub-domains for services running on my network, but deny other traffic.

I have a programming background, and I'm familiar with python and django, but I don't really have the experience or knowledge of servers to know what the best solution here is, or if its even possible.

From preliminary searching it seemed like setting up a reverse proxy could work, however all the information I found was only for http traffic and not raw tcp connections. Any ideas or information will be greatly appreciated!

asked 01 Oct '13, 12:49

neuroticnerd
accept rate: 0%

One way you can do this is to create applications in the control panel of type "Custom app (listening on port)" for each port you would like to use. This will generate a port automatically that is safe to open. If you then log a support ticket with us we can open those ports for you for external access, on a secondary IP on the server, which you can then assign to your domain in the control panel.

All you need to do then is have each service running on the assigned port on your account and you're good to go.

Wayne K.

WebFaction Support

permanent link

answered 01 Oct '13, 17:56

waynek
accept rate: 27%

Thank you for your information, I hadn't thought of doing it that way. That probably sounds like the best solution, I'll have to look into the bandwidth and memory usage, especially for services like voip. Take care!

(03 Oct '13, 14:18) neuroticnerd
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×25
×23
×10
×3

question asked: 01 Oct '13, 12:49

question was seen: 3,094 times

last updated: 03 Oct '13, 14:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM