WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have followed the installation instructions from rvm website for a single user installation. Every thing works fine until i try to install ruby 1.8.7 with this command 'rvm install 1.8.7' I get this output:

"Searching for binary rubies, this might take some time. No binary rubies available for: redhat/6/x86_64/ruby-1.8.7-p374. Continuing with compilation. Please read 'rvm help mount' to get more information on binary rubies. Checking requirements for redhat. Installing requirements for redhat. Updating system francoaa password required for '/usr/bin/env PATH=..."

It ask me for a password a root password that i don't have... I don't know what do. Any help will be appreciated

asked 03 Oct '13, 09:54

FrancoAA
accept rate: 0%

The first error states that there is no binary in their repo for 64 bit servers,

No binary rubies available for: redhat/6/x86_64/ruby-1.8.7-p374. Continuing with compilation.

So it is trying to compile form source but using the default process, which wants to build in directories you do not have control over, thus its asking for sudo access(which you can not have on our platform)

You would have to build ruby from source code modifying the installation command to build within your home directory as outlined in the docs.

permanent link

answered 03 Oct '13, 17:12

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Ok, so i should download the ruby-1.8.7 sources and compile it on my home so rvm will use it? I'm looking for something similar to python virtualenvs for ruby but rvm seems to be more complicated.

(04 Oct '13, 12:10) FrancoAA

You're right about that! Ruby's environment is a lot more complicated than Python's. But here is a guide to installing Ruby and RVM from source. It's for a different version of Ruby, but it might be helpful:

http://community.webfaction.com/questions/6846/ruby-192

(04 Oct '13, 18:49) likebike
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×81
×9

question asked: 03 Oct '13, 09:54

question was seen: 2,107 times

last updated: 04 Oct '13, 18:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM