WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'd like to use my Webfaction SSH to set up a SOCKS proxy for my own personal web browsing etc. (I'm in China and everything gets blocked on and off). I'd only be using the proxy myself. Is this possible / permitted?

I've tried setting up the SOCKS proxy, but if I try to browse web pages with it, the connection gets closed immediately. The Bitvise SSH client I'm using in Windows to handle the SSH connection reports:

"SOCKS4 connection from client __ failed: Client connection closed before completion of protocol."

Any help would be appreciated.

asked 07 Oct '13, 23:00

MrXiang
accept rate: 0%

This is fine as long as it's for personal use and you're not giving access to others. And, of course, assuming that you don't consume more than a reasonable amount of bandwidth. Otherwise, it's essentially the same as running netcat.

The problem seems to be that you're using SOCKS4, but SSH is a SOCKS5 proxy. I'm not familiar with the "Bitvise" SSH client -- have you tried putty?

permanent link

answered 07 Oct '13, 23:32

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

It was the SOCKS4/SOCKS5 that was the problem. Now using SOCKS5 without issues. Thanks for your help.

(08 Oct '13, 00:18) MrXiang
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×25
×1

question asked: 07 Oct '13, 23:00

question was seen: 12,452 times

last updated: 08 Oct '13, 00:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM