WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So I've got a prototype Node.js app properly serving websockets on my custom port. Everything works great at home, but at work (I work for a large company) the corporate firewall blocks my websocket's custom port. I've got a ticket open with corporate to open the port, but they could deny the request.

I need to be able to demo my app from multiple computers within the network, so I would really like to avoid having to use an SSH tunnel or installing VPN on each computer to break through the firewall.

Is there any possible way of just serving Node on 8080? (I know WF can't assign ports below 1024). If I pay for a dedicated IP, can I use privileged ports?

PLZ HALP!

asked 11 Nov '13, 18:00

robwgibbons
accept rate: 0%

Open a support ticket to request that port 8080 be assigned to your application. If it's not already in use on your server, we'll go ahead and assign it to you.

permanent link

answered 11 Nov '13, 19:28

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thanks Sean, I was racking my brain trying to figure out a good solution for this demo... hopefully the port's free!

(13 Nov '13, 13:58) robwgibbons
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×67
×10
×9

question asked: 11 Nov '13, 18:00

question was seen: 5,093 times

last updated: 13 Nov '13, 13:58

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM