WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm having trouble using capistrano 3 to deploy a site on WebFactional. There's some permission denied error running the git-ssh script that cap uses.

The git-ssh.sh script is this: #!/bin/sh -eexec /usr/bin/ssh -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no "$@"`

Here's a link to the error message -- http://paste.ubuntu.com/6409236/

The error is these lines:

DEBUG [56e1dd12] Command: ( GIT_ASKPASS=/bin/echo GIT_SSH=/tmp/davidosomething.com/git-ssh.sh /usr/bin/env git ls-remote ssh://git@bitbucket.org/davidosomething/2013-davidosomething.com.git )

DEBUG [56e1dd12] fatal: cannot exec '/tmp/davidosomething.com/git-ssh.sh': Permission denied

DEBUG [56e1dd12] fatal: unable to fork

asked 13 Nov '13, 00:36

davidosomething
accept rate: 0%

For security reasons, our /tmp partition is flagged noexec, which means scripts and other executables cannot be run from there.

To work around that, create your own tmp directory in your home directory, change your command to set the GIT_SSH variable to point to that location. If that value is being set automatically, then you might need to set TMPDIR instead (via your deploy.rb script).

permanent link

answered 13 Nov '13, 10:07

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Awesome, it works. Added export var to my .bashrc and this to deploy.rb: set :tmp_dir, "#{fetch(:home)}/tmp"

where fetch home gets my webfactional home path

Thanks!

(13 Nov '13, 19:49) davidosomething
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×20
×16
×2

question asked: 13 Nov '13, 00:36

question was seen: 9,364 times

last updated: 13 Nov '13, 19:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM