WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have BitTorrent Sync setup on my development machine.

How can I install a BitTorrent Sync instance in Webfaction so I don't have to use FTP/SFTP/WebDAV to transfer files or keep files in sync when I want to deploy to Webfaction?

Here are some articles that help with the concept, but don't help me know what's possible with Webfaction:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/install-bittorrent-sync-on-linux-server/
http://blog.bittorrent.com/2013/07/23/sync-hacks-how-to-deploy-web-projects-with-bittorrent-sync/

Cheers

asked 13 Nov '13, 03:26

turgs
accept rate: 0%

edited 13 Nov '13, 04:31

I'm trying to get BT Sync working on Webfaction.

I'm able to install it, and I set up a listening port in my custom applications.

Do I have to separately set up a web server to access the BT Sync web interface? Does it have to run through one of my already existing websites?

(03 Mar '14, 22:31) tashtego

You do need to assign the app to a site.

(03 Mar '14, 22:49) seanf

Thanks.

How do I do that from the webfaction dashboard? (Or from the BitTorrent Sync config file?)

And do I have to create a webfaction site dedicated to BT Sync?

(03 Mar '14, 23:55) tashtego

I've never tried BittorrentSync before, but from the instructions in the first link you provided, it seems like this would work directly under a Custom Application (listening on port) - the only difference is that when you run "./btsync", you need to configure it to listen on the port assigned to the Custom Application instead of 8888, but other than that it seems to speak HTTP and therefore would work without needing a direct open port in the firewall.

Also note that if you do end up needing a direct open port in the firewall, which is possible, then this can be done as well - just open a support ticket and we can add an open-ports IP to your account and open the Custom Application port on it for you.

permanent link

answered 13 Nov '13, 20:39

ryans ♦♦
5.0k83159
accept rate: 43%

Just got it working. It's awesome. Goodbye FTP!!!

(15 Nov '13, 06:44) turgs

make sure it runs as low priority: ionice -c 3 nice -n 19 /path/to/btsync --config /path/to/btsync.config

(15 Nov '13, 15:47) turgs

I'm trying to get BT Sync working on Webfaction.

I'm able to install it, and I set up a listening port in my custom applications.

Do I have to separately set up a web server to access the BT Sync web interface? Does it have to run through one of my already existing websites?

permanent link

answered 03 Mar '14, 22:29

tashtego

I'm trying to get this to work. I installed btsync, created a config-file to change the port the webui is listening on to the port my custom application got and created a website pointing to my custom application. Yet I can't seem to find a way to connect to the webgui of btsync. Do I need to open up the port on the firewall? The process of btsync seems to stop as well. Any help appreciated!

permanent link

answered 25 Apr '15, 14:12

Tom Nijns

never mind, got it working

(25 Apr '15, 18:18) Tom Nijns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×62
×14
×3

question asked: 13 Nov '13, 03:26

question was seen: 3,819 times

last updated: 25 Apr '15, 18:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM