WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So whenever I upload some changes, I may take the server down for a minutes while I make some changes in table's schemas in the db. I therefore really need a better 502 page, so any workarounds to achieve a custom 502 page? Ive read somewhere that maybe installing a custom nginx server or something like that.

And as a footnote question, any links or hints about how the server architecture is in webfaction? I mean there is a nginx in front of an apache2 handling the wsgi application? Any link to documentation or information that gives me some understanding of whats going on, when a request reaches the server would be great!

Regards,

Agustin

asked 25 Nov '13, 14:58

Agustin
accept rate: 0%

So whenever I upload some changes, I may take the server down for a minutes while I make some changes in table's schemas in the db. I therefore really need a better 502 page, so any workarounds to achieve a custom 502 page? Ive read somewhere that maybe installing a custom nginx server or something like that.

Yes, if you want a custom 502, then you'll need to run an additional server between our front-end Nginx and your back-end application server. That way, the front-end won't see a 502 when your back-end is down, and your "middle-end" can serve whatever kind of 502 page you need.

And as a footnote question, any links or hints about how the server architecture is in webfaction? I mean there is a nginx in front of an apache2 handling the wsgi application? Any link to documentation or information that gives me some understanding of whats going on, when a request reaches the server would be great!

There's a diagram of WebFaction's architecture available in our documentation. Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 26 Nov '13, 08:46

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×908
×186
×47
×25
×21

question asked: 25 Nov '13, 14:58

question was seen: 2,065 times

last updated: 26 Nov '13, 08:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM