WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a few question on how to setup my new domain with webfaction. I want to make sure I capture all traffic from both www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com. Questions are:

1) It is best to point to a naked domain (no www) or to www.mydomain.com? I believe this is just a personal preference at the moment and I prefer putting all the traffic to www.

2) I'm a little confused how to setup my domain properly, I don't want to duplicate content and get penalized with Google. Currently I have a CNAME record on my naked domain pointing to www.mydomain.com. I believe this is wrong and I think I need to be using an A record this. To add the A record with Webfaction under domains/websites I select my naked entry, then under hosting I select external, then I add the IP found on the websites tab?

3) I read about setting up a 301 redirect but I'm confused if that's a step I need to take if I point the A record on my naked domain correctly?

Thanks!

asked 27 Nov '13, 15:31

Chops
accept rate: 0%

1. Yes its better for logs and search engines,
  2. You don't want to use a CNAME, you want a 301 redirect, see 3
  3. Follow this documentation to set up a 301 correctly. Both www and non-www domains need the A record set, DNS happens first, than the 301 happens within HTTP.
permanent link

answered 27 Nov '13, 17:38

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

edited 27 Nov '13, 17:39

thanks for the help, I'm working on getting this running today.

(29 Nov '13, 11:32) Chops

I ran into a snag, I created the .htaccess file and added it to the server but I can't seem to see it or view while logged into the server (either SFTP or SSH). Do I need to create the file on the server? What I did was create the file htaccess on my desktop, uploaded it, then changed the name to .htaccess then it disappeared.

permanent link

answered 29 Nov '13, 12:00

Chops
accept rate: 0%

Your ftp client would need to show hidden files. In addition to see the files via ssh you can use ll -a.

You should be able to upload the file as you described. If you are still having issues I would suggest looking at the error log found in the following location to see the errors

/home/<username>/logs/frontend/error_<websitename>_php.log

(29 Nov '13, 12:37) aaront ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×105
×17

question asked: 27 Nov '13, 15:31

question was seen: 3,580 times

last updated: 29 Nov '13, 12:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM