Wow, love the new community platform guys, thanks so much for this!

asked 25 Oct '10, 14:33

bwooceli's gravatar image

bwooceli
accept rate: 0%

edited 10 Dec '10, 14:57

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
8.0k1726

I do like this format, but I don't think it lends itself to community written tutorials as well as the forum did. This is really a question and answer style format and not everything discussed in the forum always fit that format. I was sad to see the forum shuttered completely.

link

answered 26 Oct '10, 10:42

joshfinnie's gravatar image

joshfinnie

Feel free to slightly abuse the Q&A format and to write tutorials as questions that don't expect any answers :)

(27 Oct '10, 03:03) remi ♦♦ remi's gravatar image

What about "show off your site" section? I really miss it :)

(10 Dec '10, 15:32) eden eden's gravatar image

Feel free to "show off your site" here :)

(10 Dec '10, 15:37) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image

I've been fan of the stackoverflow for a long time, and was really excited when found out about OSQA existence. Next excitement was when I came across instructions on OSQA installation at webfaction. Would be so nice to have a standard script for that here!

link

answered 26 Oct '10, 18:06

photographer's gravatar image

photographer

There are some pretty in-depth instructions for installing it here:

http://wiki.osqa.net/display/docs/Installing+OSQA+on+WebFaction

User contributed installer scripts are always welcome! :)

(26 Oct '10, 18:15) klynton klynton's gravatar image

Your welcome. Thanks for the positive feedback.

link

answered 25 Oct '10, 15:19

johns's gravatar image

johns ♦♦
4.1k28
accept rate: 23%

I like it considerably, but it doesn't feel as polished as Stack Overflow. In particular, the thumbs up, number and thumbs down icons could do with being bigger, less distracting (lighter and not pictorial) and having more padding around them - just like on Stack Overflow, funnily enough. Same for the "accepted" icon.

There are a number of other styling issues. The line-height for text would also be good 10% higher, perhaps also the text a shade larger, I think. Due to the use of blocks for comments rather than just single lines as on Stack Overflow, the comments take up too much room and end up being a lot less distinguishable from answers than they are on Stack Overflow. The badges run into the reputation count rather than being separated by a few pixels.

So, just like with the new blog, there are a number of comparatively minor style issues which could do with rectification, and which for the most part are very easy to do.

All in all though, I'm glad of this switch. And not just because it made me aware of OSQA which I shall play with and expect to use elsewhere :-)

link

answered 16 Nov '10, 22:13

Chris%20Morgan's gravatar image

Chris Morgan

Why is this being dig up?

link

answered 18 Jan, 14:33

min0taur's gravatar image

min0taur

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×85
×6
×4

Asked: 25 Oct '10, 14:33

Seen: 1,839 times

Last updated: 18 Jan, 14:33

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login