WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'd like to set up a custom app to run on my account. Initially, as every inexperienced Linux user, I was about to snoop around the Webs on how to set up daemon, but then I noticed everybody on Webfaction uses some autostart.cgi magic to make available and initialize long running processes, much to the effect of what I'd want to do in the first place.

I've checked out the docs and couldn't find any topical guides on deploying a autostart.cgi script. Much appreciated if someone can provide more insight.

asked 15 Jan '11, 08:59

Filip Dupanovic
accept rate: 0%

Actually, the preferred method of restarting your applications nowadays is to add a cron job entry, which starts your application on, say, every 15 minutes (the start command should have no particular effect if the application is already running). This is the method we employ for most of our applications.

If you prefer to use autostart.cgi, you can find a sample autostart script at:

http://blog.ez2learn.com/2009/09/20/autostart-script-for-turbogears2/

The autostart.cgi is simply a CGI page that gets loaded by the frontend server when your custom backend is not responding.

permanent link

answered 15 Jan '11, 09:13

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

edited 15 Jan '11, 09:14

Where the autostart.cgi for a custom app should be placed to be picked-up by WebFaction's fron-end servers?

(15 Jan '11, 10:37) esfand

Inside the webapplication folder, e.g. ~/webapps/<your_app>/autostart.cgi

(15 Jan '11, 10:42) tie
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×54
×47

question asked: 15 Jan '11, 08:59

question was seen: 3,857 times

last updated: 15 Jan '11, 10:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM