WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

Recently our account has been affected due to db issues due to corrupted files etc. etc. Apart from all the stuff we could have done to notice any erros ourselves (in stead of 12 hours delay as was the case), the team at WF later simply said that they don't send out emergency email in case of db issue.

The restore wasn't completely succesfull. We lost some data. We we're offline for some hours. We lost money and disappointed our visitors.

For us, any disruption to any database is critical > I feel I should be proactively notified as it's hurting my business and technically there is no real reason to provide such a server by Webfaction > from customer satisfaction point of view I think they should.

WF says it put in their blog which I can follow by Twitter and that I could make it to some reader to be notified.. Really?! Yes, and furthermore, they say it not something on their list right now and/or are "happy" with these procedures.

I say it's ridiculous. They manage the DB. They know instantly. They can (by means of a "simple" script) pro-actively notify all users affected by email on that machine.. To enable us to take action, by default and as a service, near instant about us losing data and/or we could be having issues.

Is it me that is surprised and/or disappointed by their procedures and/or reaction? I love their support, really, but I would have liked to know when I might need them in stead learn about 12 hours later.

So, I'd say this must be on their list > with high priority > do you agree?

Your response would be appreciated, by me at least. Regards,

Joost

asked 04 Dec '13, 13:00

Joost
accept rate: 0%

edited 04 Dec '13, 13:01

Application level monitoring is something we leave up to the users. You are free to use cron and a shell script to monitor your application and send you an e-mail warning if there are issues. We do not do this in bulk as not everyone wants it, which is why it is up to you the user. For predicted server downtime, and downtime which is more than 15 minutes we post on our status blog. You can also use cron and shell to set up redundant backups to avoid data loss.

permanent link

answered 04 Dec '13, 21:23

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 22%

Hi Johns,

Thanks for your reply; however, from a custmer perspective this still seems highly unlogic.

I am assuming that everybody instantly wants to know when a DB is restore and potential data loss has occurred. To me, this is critical and much more severe then 10 minutes of downtime and/or bad response times.

Maybe I am not an average WF user, but I don't want to build and set all these systems up to notify me.I want my provider to do this as a service basic service. WF is the expert and it's not a complicate systeem to implement.

As a satisfied customer I would reason otherwise. I would implement and activate these emergency emails by default, and if a user doesn't want to receive them, then he should just adjust a setting under my.webfaction.com.

Joost

(05 Dec '13, 01:10) Joost
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×257
×9

question asked: 04 Dec '13, 13:00

question was seen: 1,378 times

last updated: 05 Dec '13, 14:00

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM