WebFaction
Community site: login faq

as admin i have to create lots of users and passwords: Email, MySQL etc. Is there no easy way to find what the current password is for a particular user? I sometimes forget to write it down as i am creating them or i need to refer back to a user to determine their passwords. Hopefully there is a way...

asked 09 Dec '13, 21:51

baba
accept rate: 0%

I use the https://lastpass.com/ browser extension to save my user passwords

(10 Dec '13, 00:27) bitspill

Thanks for the tip. i currently use password which syncs across all my computers, but it's not as useful as looking up password on the server...esp for those that i never use such as email accounts for others.

(10 Dec '13, 00:31) baba

Thanks for the tip. i currently use 1password.com which syncs across all my computers, but it's not as useful as looking up password on the server...esp for those that i never use such as email accounts for others.

(10 Dec '13, 00:32) baba

It's not possible, because neither we nor the system itself stores the password.

The method used is known as a salted hash, which can be used to (reasonably accurately) verify a password as correct or incorrect, but it cannot be (without a lot of computational effort) reversed to determine one of the possible passwords itself.

permanent link

answered 09 Dec '13, 23:19

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×40
×25
×1

question asked: 09 Dec '13, 21:51

question was seen: 1,189 times

last updated: 10 Dec '13, 00:32

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM