WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Is there any way, through the API or directly, for an email user to manage their own mailbox? Specifically, I want to let them modify their Autoresponder info. I can write a web page to do that, but it seems there's no way to authenticate the mailbox user, since the list_mailboxes API function says it returns a random password, presumably one unrelated to the actual mailbox password.

asked 09 Dec '13, 22:51

bvb
accept rate: 0%

You would use update_email to do the modifying, you would have to authenticate into the API using the main account username/password the same as other functions. .

permanent link

answered 10 Dec '13, 01:14

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

Yes, I see that, but to allow the user to make the change through a web page, it looks like I have to authenticate them using an alternate credential that can't be synched to their mailbox name/password. Using the latter would be vastly preferable and much simpler. An API function that lets me submit those two items and get back a true/false "authenticated mailbox" result would be a big help - hint, hint!

(10 Dec '13, 05:57) bvb

You can use IMAP authentication for this purpose - so, your script could work like this:

• User logs in with their mailbox credentials
  • Your script attempts IMAP authentication to test the credentials
  • If IMAP auth is successful, your script then logs into the API to make whatever mailbox changes the user needs to make.
(10 Dec '13, 10:29) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×260
×44
×38
×31
×7

question asked: 09 Dec '13, 22:51

question was seen: 1,501 times

last updated: 10 Dec '13, 10:29

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM