WebFaction
Community site: login faq

My shiny new hosting account doesn't want to receive emails: Where 'joeblow' is substituted for my user name, tests are getting bounced thus:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 admin@joeblow.webfactional.com: Relay access denied (state 14).

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 joeblow@mail.webfaction.com: Relay access denied (state 14).

What is the email address to send to?
How do I declare it ok to receive mail?

asked 18 Jan '11, 02:31

johnm
accept rate: 0%

Hi Johnm,

It looks like you are trying to send email to addresses that don't actually exist. You will need to create the mailbox for your email to go to, then you will need to create the email address. We don't automatically create the email box and address for you so you have to do it manually. We have instructions here:

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email.html?highlight=mailbox#mailboxes-and-addresses

permanent link

answered 18 Jan '11, 02:46

klynton
1.6k1210
accept rate: 41%

What is the email address to send to?

The email address to send to is whatever you've configured under
Panel -> Emails -> Email Addresses

I have a catchall which lists as "@joeblow.webfactional.com" so the former email address "admin@joeblow.webfactional.com" is correct.

How do I declare it ok to receive mail?

You don't have to. Instead. Wait.

I've come back two days later, I haven't changed a thing. Now the former address works. The latter does not.

permanent link

answered 19 Jan '11, 16:22

johnm
accept rate: 0%

edited 19 Jan '11, 16:23

The latter address, joeblow@mail.webfaction.com, will never work. It's not a real email address. It's just what our webmail system and other mail clients chooses as a default "from" address if you don't specify anything else. Instructions for setting your "from" address in the webmail system are here.

(19 Jan '11, 16:34) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×263

question asked: 18 Jan '11, 02:31

question was seen: 7,104 times

last updated: 19 Jan '11, 16:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM