WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have tried to make the collation be utf8_unicode_ci for any databases that i create on webfaction but i end up with utf8_general_ci after uploading mysql databases from my old server which are all in Sum InnoDB utf8_unicode_ci

I understand from reading that the preferred collation is utf8_unicode_ci

Cannot the default on webfaction be changed to utf8_unicode_ci ??

asked 07 Jan '14, 00:28

baba
accept rate: 0%

edited 07 Jan '14, 00:31

You can alter the encoding after its created,

mysql> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET = "utf8";
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.02 sec)
permanent link

answered 07 Jan '14, 17:35

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

Thanks for your reply. but i get this error - mysql> ALTER generaldislay_main CHARACTER SET = "utf8"; ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'generaldislay_main CHARACTER SET = "utf8"' at line 1

(07 Jan '14, 17:49) baba

Have you tried running the command exactly as JohnS shows it above? That is "ALTER DATABASE ...", and not "ALTER generaldislay_main ..."

(07 Jan '14, 19:18) seanf

I managed to fix the issue. thanks

NOTE: But I still would like to hear from WebFaction personnel As to why the default in creating MySQL database is not 'UTF8_UNICODE_CI' ??

(08 Jan '14, 11:38) baba

I could not find an official reason in our internal info, I also found info which seems to suggest utf8_unicode_ci is superior. I submitted a request to alter it to our System Admin team. They will research the pros and cons, than make a decision to implement it based on that.

(08 Jan '14, 23:15) johns

Any updates on the Policy re UTF8_GENERAL_CI vs UTF8_UNICODE_CI ??

I found this comment. "You should never, ever use utf8_general_ci: it simply doesn’t work. It’s a throwback to the bad old days of ASCII stooopeeedity from fifty years ago. Unicode case-insensitive matching cannot be done without the foldcase map from the UCD. For example, “???????” has three different sigmas in it; or how the lowercase of “TSCHü?” is “tschü?”, but the uppercase of “tschü?” is “TSCHÜSS”. You can be right, or you can be fast. Therefore you must use utf8_unicode_ci"

(16 Jul '14, 18:24) baba

No update is available at this time. We'll post back here when we have an answer.

(16 Jul '14, 23:05) seanf
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×7

question asked: 07 Jan '14, 00:28

question was seen: 1,835 times

last updated: 16 Jul '14, 23:05

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM