WebFaction
Community site: login faq

If I can't install something like cPanel or ISPConfig for my clients to use on Webfaction (according to http://blog.webfaction.com/2013/03/a-look-at-installing-your-own-tools-on-webfaction-servers/), what is the best way for me to give them access to manage their own email accounts, databases, and ability to assign apps to URLs, from my one Webfaction user account? Or is the only solution for them to get their own Webfaction account?

asked 10 Jan '14, 17:40

timblack1
accept rate: 100%

At the present time, each account has only a single control panel user, and that user has access to everything.

We're looking into the possibility of providing secondary panel users, with granular permissions and other reseller-friendly features, but there's no ETA for that.

For now, if you do want your clients to have this capability, you could build your own client panel, using our API and whatever logic you need to ensure that a given client can only touch a given site/domain/email/whatever.

permanent link

answered 10 Jan '14, 17:45

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Regarding the architecture of giving clients limited access, it might be wise to consider whether it's better to:

1. Give secondary users limited access to one main user's account, or
  2. Give primary users limited access to other primary users' accounts.

I have the impression architecture 2 might be easier to implement because it accords with the architecture of Linux users, groups, and file permissions, but it might also give some clients more power than their resellers want to give.

(10 Jan '14, 18:05) timblack1

Hi folks. Any update about this feature?

permanent link

answered 22 Nov '16, 14:08

pedromagnus
accept rate: 0%

No changes on how the Control Panel works. You would still need to utilize the API.

(22 Nov '16, 14:39) aaront ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×15
×8
×4
×1
×1

question asked: 10 Jan '14, 17:40

question was seen: 2,540 times

last updated: 22 Nov '16, 14:39

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM