WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a PHP app which uses imap_open...

$hostname = '{mail.webfaction.com:993/imap/ssl/validate-cert}INBOX';
$inbox = imap_open($hostname,$username,$password);

Most of the time it works perfectly, but there seem to be plenty of failed connections. My error_log gets full of these kinds of errors:

PHP Warning:  imap_open() [<a href='function.imap-open'>function.imap-open</a>]: Couldn't open stream {mail.webfaction.com:993/imap/ssl/validate-cert}INBOX in /home/.... on line 50
PHP Notice:  Unknown: Retrying PLAIN authentication after Authentication failed. (errflg=1) in Unknown on line 0
PHP Notice:  Unknown: Can not authenticate to IMAP server: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (authenticate) (errflg=2) in Unknown on line 0

Sometimes the second line says this:

PHP Notice:  Unknown: Can't connect to mail.webfaction.com,993: Connection refused (errflg=1) in Unknown on line 0

I've tried different connection strings, using tls on port 143, or no-authenticate, but same problem.

The errors tend to bunch up e.g. today I had 14 errors between 10:03 and 10:16, then 2 between 11:42 and 11:43, and then 11 between 12:02 and 12:44. The app was being called about once a minute.

I'm guessing that the problem is with mail.webfaction.com being unreliable. Or am I doing something wrong?

asked 18 Jan '11, 17:07

chocoreality
accept rate: 0%

We've been having a lot of problems with one the mail server that hosts your mailboxes - this is what's causing the error's you're seeing.

We've removed that server from the pool of machines to which mail.webfaction.com is pointing, but if you still have problems, feel free to open a support ticket to request that we move your mailboxes to a different server.

permanent link

answered 18 Jan '11, 17:19

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×258
×108
×69
×22

question asked: 18 Jan '11, 17:07

question was seen: 7,749 times

last updated: 18 Jan '11, 17:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM