WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just installed WordPress via the WebFaction installer. I'd like to enable Google's Pagespeed module. Your installer documentation says that it uses Apache. But, the response headers on the site say nginx, which would explain why editing the .htaccess file in the application directory did nothing. I tried to install the nginx pagespeed module, but that requires doing "sudo yum...." which I can't do as I do not have sudo access. How can I get pagespeed on my site?

Thanks!

asked 15 Jan '14, 18:31

Adam
accept rate: 0%

Your Wordpress application is served by Apache, but the Apache server is running behind our front-end Nginx proxy. That's why you see Nginx in your response headers.

.htaccess files are fully supported.

The reason you don't see pagespeed headers in the response from your Wordpress site is that our mod_pagespeed installation currently works only with static html files.

If you need some other pagespeed configuration, e.g. if you want pagespeed to work for your entire Wordpress site, then you can run your own back-end Apache with pagespeed configured however you need it. Instructions for running your own Apache are available here: Installing a private instance of the shared apache

permanent link

answered 15 Jan '14, 21:21

seanf
12.2k31736
accept rate: 37%

edited 15 Jan '14, 21:23

Are there any plans to upgrade your Pagespeed installation so that it will work with other systems besides static html files? Why do you proxy through ngnix?

(15 Jan '14, 21:35) Adam

We'd like to be able to make pagespeed available for Wordpress, but so far we've been unable to come up with a configuration that works with our php-cgi setup. If we can find a workable configuration, we'll let everyone know via our blog. In the meantime, running a custom back-end server is your best bet.

We need a front-end proxy so that we can have a single web server listening on port 80, that can then service requests for a variety of different back-end servers, including the back-end shared Apache that handles PHP apps like Wordpress. We use Nginx as that proxy because it is fast and efficient.

(15 Jan '14, 21:56) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×242
×185
×10
×8
×5

question asked: 15 Jan '14, 18:31

question was seen: 3,484 times

last updated: 15 Jan '14, 21:56

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM