WebFaction
Community site: login faq

following the instructions at Getting started with Zope and Plone in an attempt to install Plone 2.0.5

I get an error when trying to build python 2.3.7: /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/python2.3': Permission denied make: *** [altbininstall] Error 1

I'm assuming I can't install into the /usr directory... Any idea how to work around this?

asked 19 Jan '11, 20:02

iotacenter
accept rate: 0%

Try running it like this,

./configure --prefix=$HOME

This tells it to use the default paths for your user.

permanent link

answered 20 Jan '11, 17:29

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Are you running step 7 as outlined here,

http://docs.webfaction.com/software/zope-and-plone/getting-started.html#getting-started-with-plone-2-0-5

By entering, ./configure --prefix=~/webapps/{application} you should override the default path of /usr/ with the build.

permanent link

answered 19 Jan '11, 20:46

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

yes-- But perhaps there is something I don't understand here-- when I leave the tilde in, I get the error: "configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix:"

if I replace the tilde with the full filepath, the configure seems to work, but then it tries to install in the wrong directory...

permanent link

answered 20 Jan '11, 14:04

iotacenter
accept rate: 0%

ah! apparently the configure works if there's a space put in: ./configure --prefix= ~/webapps/{application}

However, I still get the same error when trying to make an install: cannot create regular file `/bin/python2.3': Permission denied make: *** [altbininstall] Error 1

(20 Jan '11, 14:16) iotacenter
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×23
×18
×1

question asked: 19 Jan '11, 20:02

question was seen: 4,633 times

last updated: 20 Jan '11, 17:29

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM