WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to install a software package (ta-lib, C++ with python api) from source. make install tries to mkdir /usr/include/ta-lib but encounters the following error:

test -z "/usr/include/ta-lib/" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/include/ta-lib/" /bin/mkdir: **cannot create directory /usr/include/ta-lib/': Permission denied** make[3]: *** [install-libta_abstractHEADERS] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory/home/my_app/src/ta-lib/src/ta_abstract' make[2]: [install-am] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory /home/my_app/src/ta-lib/src/ta_abstract' make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/my_app/src/ta-lib/src' make: [install-recursive] Error 1

How can I get around this problem? Do I need to set an environmental variable for it to use $HOME/usr/include?

Thanks, Roland

asked 22 Jan '14, 01:34

Roland
accept rate: 0%

When you configured the package before it was built with make did you use the --prefix=$HOME flag as outlined in this documentation?

permanent link

answered 22 Jan '14, 03:14

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 22 Jan '14, 03:14

I read that section but I did not use that flad. Should I try that? They don't seem to be listed as necessary.

(22 Jan '14, 04:09) Roland

As John pointed out, I think it is worth a shot. Please attempt it, then post any output if there are any other issues.

(22 Jan '14, 07:14) NickR ♦♦

That was it. The clue was there all along. The software package's instructions asked to run

./configure --prefix=/usr I suppose that assumes you have root privileges. Thanks for pointing that out, John.

(22 Jan '14, 14:00) Roland

To clarify, I ran:

./configure --prefix=$HOME to solve the problem.

(22 Jan '14, 14:01) Roland
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×102
×64

question asked: 22 Jan '14, 01:34

question was seen: 3,313 times

last updated: 22 Jan '14, 14:01

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM