WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi all,

I have created one website and two applications :

Apps mcp (Static/CGI/PHP on /) gitmcp (Git on /gitmcp)

I have a folder on my local machine with a landing page that I want to push, to this app. I am using git.

I created a remote and this is fine since when I do git remote -v, I have this :

origin home/username/webapps/gitmcp/repos/gitmcp.git (fetch) origin home/username/webapps/gitmcp/repos/gitmcp.git (push)

I also did my first commit, since when I do git log I have one commit.

But when I want to push, I am doing this: git push username@username.webfactional.com:/home/username/webapps/gitmcp/repos/gitmcp.git master I typed my password, the one I use to connect to my control panel but here is the answer "Permission denied, please try again."

If anyone has an advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Richard

asked 26 Jan '14, 11:36

rickgoz
accept rate: 0%

Everything looks good with your command. You can check the username and password in /home/username/webapps/gitmcp/. Our documentation has more detailed information.

(26 Jan '14, 15:32) aaront ♦♦

The problem is that I can't connect via ssh. I have the following error:

MacBook-Pro-de-Richard:~ richardgozlan$ ssh rickgoz@rickgoz.webfactional.com ssh: connect to host rickgoz.webfactional.com port 22: No route to host

According to the Q/A community that would be solved by unbanning my IP which I think has been done recently. The rickgoz.webfactional.com server is still here in my control panel.

(26 Jan '14, 22:10) rickgoz

First, your SSH password is not the same as the Control Panel password. You can set your SSH password here.

Second, too many failed login attempts will cause your IP address to be blocked from the server. This is temporary (less than 30 minutes) but the block time increases if this happens repeatedly. You can open a support ticket to have your IP unblocked if you're still getting the "No route to host" message.

Hope that helps!

(27 Jan '14, 01:34) ryans ♦♦

Thanks for the advices.

Unfortunately, 7 hours later, I am getting the same error message. "rickgoz.webfactional.com port 22: No route to host" :/

I changed my server password but that does not matter since they are not asking me for it anymore..

So still can't connect via ssh..

(27 Jan '14, 09:05) rickgoz

Hi,

I can finally connect again using ssh.

@aaront: I followed the steps to verify the password. I copied/pasted the password inside the file using the command cat .htpasswd - Unfortunately I am still getting : "Permission denied, please try again."

Any idea ?

(28 Jan '14, 17:01) rickgoz

In which directory are you running that command? If you'd rather not disclose that information here in our public forum, then feel free to open a support ticket instead.

(29 Jan '14, 00:31) seanf

I am running this command on my home local directory (MacBook-Pro-de-Richard:~ rickgoz$).. Should I do it somewhere else ? Like after being connected to ssh ?

(29 Jan '14, 09:32) rickgoz

If you're trying to view the contents of a htpasswd file store on your server, then yes, you need to connect via SSH before executing the command.

That said, you cannot use what you see in the htpasswd file as a password, since it is stored there in an encrypted form. If you don't know what your password is, then you can use the htpasswd command to reset it, like this...

htpasswd ~/webapps/gitmcp/.htpasswd your_username

... and then just enter your new password when prompted.

(29 Jan '14, 18:02) seanf

Hey,

I changed the password. Here is what I get when I push :

fatal: '/home/rickgoz/webapps/gitmcp/repos/gitmcp.git' does not appear to be a git repository fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.

Any idea ?

(31 Jan '14, 08:47) rickgoz

In you initial post the origin is missing the / before home. Try setting your origin to the correct path:

git remote add origin rickgoz@rickgoz.webfactional.com:/home/rickgoz/webapps/gitmcp/repos/gitmcp.git

(31 Jan '14, 15:42) timg ♦♦
showing 5 of 10 show 5 more comments
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111
×64
×24

question asked: 26 Jan '14, 11:36

question was seen: 8,807 times

last updated: 31 Jan '14, 15:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM