WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello

Am I able to somehow roll my own "symbolic link to static only" app without using the default app type available?

Like lots of other users, all I'm looking to do is:

1. Have content in a particular directory of my website served as static only (i.e. it's served FAST).
  2. Set the "expires header" far into the future (so users don't have to keep downloading the file for each page load -- plus this is now part of Googles ranking algorithm).

I can do Point 1 by using "Symbolic Link to Static Only" App. This forces to content in the desired directory to be served by Nginx, not Apache, and without the extra weight of trying to interpret PHP or Ruby.

How can I do Point 2? The "Symbolic Link to Static Only" App doesn't have anywhere to set the "Expires Header" value. Can you please add this as a feature or advise on an alternate option? Can I roll my own symbolic link setup?

asked 05 Feb '14, 12:25

turgs
accept rate: 0%

edited 05 Feb '14, 12:34

The only way to set the Expires Headers with a static only application is when you create the app use "expires max " setting.

permanent link

answered 05 Feb '14, 16:21

timg ♦♦
1.3k4
accept rate: 30%

this would be a perfect solution, but unfortunately isn't available in the "Symbolic link to static only" application

(06 Feb '14, 07:02) turgs

That's correct, as a symbolic link is literally just that in the filesystem so you would need to use a Static only app type.

(06 Feb '14, 08:38) waynek
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×186
×125
×28
×17
×2

question asked: 05 Feb '14, 12:25

question was seen: 2,155 times

last updated: 06 Feb '14, 08:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM