WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi folks -- long time user of Webfaction, first time poster to the forums here.

I'm working with a client to redesign their current website -- they currently have their own host for their domain and email but have just been hacked this morning, for the second time.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible for me to host their domain/website on WF nameservers/IP's like I would with any other site -- but still allow them to maintain their current mail system using their servers. If so how would I go about doing this?

And I guess a follow up question to that would be a security concern -- I'm wondering if I went this route if there would still be an open flaw in the system that someone could still exploit.

Thanks!

• Kevan

asked 13 Feb '14, 21:39

moreinmind
accept rate: 0%

Hello,

You can definitely host the DNS and website with us while keeping the mail on an external server. We have documentation on this here:

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/domains.html#pointing-your-domain-to-webfaction-s-servers

Regarding site/server security, you need to really make sure your code/web applications are up to date, is not the source of the exploit. So it depends what steps you've taken in that regard.

I hope this helps.

permanent link

answered 14 Feb '14, 00:51

NickR ♦♦
accept rate: 19%

Ahh thank you Nick -- I entirely missed that while reading it earlier.

And yeah the security issue is a problem. It's not an issue with anything I have hosted on Webfaction -- it's this other guy who is currently hosting the original site that my client hired me to redesign.

permanent link

answered 14 Feb '14, 02:21

moreinmind
accept rate: 0%

Any time :)

Short of updating the email passwords at the existing host, redesigning the site would give you better control of the situation. It sounds like you have a plan.

(14 Feb '14, 02:31) NickR ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×97
×7

question asked: 13 Feb '14, 21:39

question was seen: 3,064 times

last updated: 14 Feb '14, 02:31

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM