WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hey there,

I have an app with a very large data set - about 200 million rows in an SQL database - and I'm trying to explore options for optimizing the searches.

Right now I'm testing Solr, which is amazing and works great in development, but I'm curious as to what the memory usage would be in production. More so, would the Solr indexing count against the RAM / 512MB application memory, or would it be pooled into the total 100GB disk space?

I'm thinking to index files will be roughly 1.5 GB, so if it counts towards the RAM, I'll be over the limit. If it counts towards the disk space I'll be fine. Also, will the location that it's saved have an affect on what limit it's allocated to? For example, if I save it in /webapps vs. /webapps/rails/app_name ?

Thanks for the help,

Tyler

asked 05 Mar '14, 21:56

tylero
accept rate: 0%

There's no way for us to know how much RAM your Solr app will consume in production. My advice is that you test it locally to make that determination.

Whatever RAM it does use will be counted towards the RAM allowance for your hosting plan.

Whatever disk storage it uses will be counted towards your storage quota, regardless of where you store the related files.

permanent link

answered 06 Mar '14, 18:41

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×168
×108
×3

question asked: 05 Mar '14, 21:56

question was seen: 1,811 times

last updated: 06 Mar '14, 18:41

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM