WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So, occasionally, the speed at which I enter commands via SSH slows to a crawl - I'll type in the commands, and then watch them get entered letter by letter. Is this just an SSH thing, or is something else going on?

asked 09 Mar '14, 16:39

tjsimmons
accept rate: 0%

This is very common with using SSH on a remote server and most likely caused by bad latency. Depending on your proximity to the server, you may notice a certain amount of lag at all times when typing in the prompt, and experience worse lag if your connection suddenly becomes congested or load on the server goes up. If everything you type comes up on the screen with a consistent amount of (small) delay, it's simply your ping. If the feedback slows to a crawl there is probably something else going on at that moment. You can use tools like ping, and mtr or pathping/tracert to troubleshoot your connectivity to the machine, and you're always welcome to send us a support ticket if you think there's a problem.

permanent link

answered 09 Mar '14, 17:45

yulian
accept rate: 24%

I also just came across mosh.mit.edu which is something you can try out. It requires that you set up mosh-server in addition to the local client, but it's definitely possible to install:

https://community.webfaction.com/questions/8894/installing-mosh

(09 Mar '14, 17:52) yulian
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×4
×1

question asked: 09 Mar '14, 16:39

question was seen: 2,291 times

last updated: 09 Mar '14, 17:53

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM