WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've read the info/tutorial on starting a new project, and also uploading a project through FTP. I've also seen instructions on how to create a virtualenv here: [https://community.webfaction.com/questions/4253/simple-virtualenv-usage-with-django][1]

I am still a bit confused with putting it all together, with all my requirements...

So, what steps should I take based on these requirements:

• existing project (version controlled), including third party apps
  • django (1.5 or 1.6)
  • virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper
  • postgresql database
  • using South
  • want to use Fabric (unfamiliar with it though)

Any help, steps, or a full tutorial would be massively appreciated!

asked 22 Mar '14, 02:26

pete
accept rate: 100%

First, can you describe your underlying motivation here for using virtualenv? It does have the potential to increase complexity, and we're unsure why you feel it's preferable to just setting the python path in your WSGI script.

You also mentioned that you looked at the Django + Virtualenv Guide but didn't describe what you found confusing. For certain, you'll want to start out getting only Django working in a virtualenv, and then slowly add each additional piece, and make sure it's working, before moving onto the next piece.

(22 Mar '14, 04:22) ryans ♦♦

thanks for the response. What I am reading suggests virtualenv is best practice. I have multiple websites to upload, and I assume using the virtualenv on the server has the same benefits as using it locally - to prevent conflicts - is that true?

I was mostly ok with the guide, but it seems to be a small piece of the puzzle. Is it done in the SSH? Also, what are the pieces around it - ie setting up the virtualenv is one step of many - what is each step?

(22 Mar '14, 09:54) pete

Virtualenv will act as you outline, isolating individual application's libraries and modules. It is done in SSH.

Answering exactly what each part of the process does would take chapters. Also there is no 1 'best method' they are all pieces which you as the developer choose to use for personal reasons.

Since this is the case it is best to simply read the various components you plan on using official documentations. Since you are going to need to know everything in them anyway if you wish to make everything work together.

We are always happy to answer specific questions.

(23 Mar '14, 00:16) johns

I understanding the reason, but don't fully agree. I know there is no 'best method' - but there are best practices going around that should be followed. It would certainly make starting on webfaction for a new user much more fluent. Plenty out there seem to agree too, eg: http://lukeplant.me.uk/blog/posts/best-practices-with-django-on-webfaction/

(24 Mar '14, 23:46) pete
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×910
×109
×55
×9

question asked: 22 Mar '14, 02:26

question was seen: 4,269 times

last updated: 24 Mar '14, 23:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM